Thursday, June 02, 2005

Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith (Spoiler warning)

Yeah, it's been another long while, and yeah, it's been out for weeks now, but I figured I should post my typical review. I unfortunately didn't get the chance to go watch it on opening night with the rest of the guys (and girls), but I saw it that afternoon. MY GOODNESS. The movie was amazing. I mean it. Not just in comparison with Episodes I and II, but in and of itself, so well done. The first half hour alone totally destroyed my senses with endless visual effects and action. But not just that. The entire movie, from beginning to end, flowed nearly perfectly, marred only by a few poor scenes with Anakin and Padme. Yes, their dialogue could've stood to have been written better, and there was little chemistry between Natalie and Hayden C., but there wasn't nearly enough of it to ruin what was the perfect finale to an epic story. Every lose end was tied together. From the big things like the birth of the twins and the coming of Darth Vader, to the subtleties like Obi-Wan's references to a blaster being "so uncivilized", Lucas really did a great job with this. The two highlights of it all though were Ewan McGregor's acting and the soundtrack. As Mike has already said in his own review, Ewan's portayal of Obi-Wan's life as a Padawan through the path into Masterhood was so believable that you would think that Ewan was in fact just a young Alec Guiness. The soundtrack... I didn't really notice it the first time around with what was going on on-screen, but Jon told me to listen to it carefully the second time around, and wow, John Williams is a bad bad man. So well written, and so fitting. The particular track is "Battle of the Heroes"; the song that is played during Anakin and Obi-Wan's fight. Just... yeah. Give it a listen if you don't know what I'm talking about. Amazing. Overall, 8.5/10. Yes, really that damned good. I've seen it twice, and will watch it a third time in DLP/THX.

Perhaps more impressive though, was that immediately following the first time I saw it, I went to Kenneth's place to watch Episode IV. I wasn't expecting much from a 25+ year old movie, but wow, it still held its own. It was still as satisfying as the first time around, and still stood up to the test of time. Well done George Lucas, well done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter